Sunday, January 22, 2012

Unit 1

Technology is ever changing and having an opportunity to investigate several models of self paced learning has me even more excited about this course.  Prior to starting at NCSU, I was unsure about online learning.  My first experience with taking a distant education class was far from fantastic.  I vividly remember feeling extremely confused and lost.    Unfortunately, these feelings left me making a tough decision of dropping the course.  Since this first experience, I have had a change of heart for distance learning.  Learning how web based classes are constructed, I figured my change of heart came with the maturity and patience I have gained over the years.  However, it has been made clear that the construction of the class has a HUGE impact on  one’s success. 
            In Davis and Ragsdell’s article, I was most struck by the notion that traditional learning encompasses a feel of making someone learn RIGHT NOW!  However, this is not the case.  Davis and Ragsdell state “…we should attempt to design learning environments that facilitate asynchronous learning experiences for all students” (n.d.)  What a great idea; however, it seems to assume that the learner is motivated and committed to the learning the content.  Being a 5th grade teacher, this is a common battle I face with students.  In order to help motivate the students, I create hands on learning activities and opportunities that help students see their success.  As I was reading, I started to understand how this same idea is encompassed within the Keller model.   It seems that this type of teaching relies heavily on a student’s reading ability.  I would be interested to learn how students with learning disabilities are impacted in a web based learning environment.
   Using the Keller model to design a web based learning environment focuses on the notion that a student works at his or her own pace and will not move on until mastery is made.  This is strongly encouraged in the elementary classroom, but seems more feasible in a web based instructional approach.    Therefore, I can see how constructing a Personalized System of Instruction (PSI) model for a variety of units could be beneficial to my students since it is self paced. While reading Koen’s article, I found myself pondering ways to incorporate it into my own classroom.  As I was reading made connections to particular units that I teach, such as ecosystems.   Providing students with an opportunity to learn and be assessed frequently with an integration of remediation has a profound impact on student achievement.  I can see myself using this model of teaching with my own students.  However, the problem in implementing this lies within the lack of available technology access I have during the day.  Therefore, I would rely heavily on students using the unit outside of the classroom for homework.  However, my concern is whether the students would have enough time to effectively use the tool at home.    
The notion that “PSI accommodates the former group and let’s them finish quickly with a minimum of personal contact while providing a maximum amount of personal help to the latter group” allows student learning needs to be met (2005).  Using PSI in an elementary classroom would require knowledge that foundations of the concepts were learned.  If this has not occurred, I can see this style of learning to cause frustration for the student, thus impacting their success of learning. 
                Moreover, reading about audio technology made me feel like I was being taken back in time to the first attempts of distance education.  Moving from the web based learning PSI model, I was surprised by the Audio Technology (AT)pproach.  As I was reading, the impression that I received was that this approach may have been the catalyst for the PSI model.  The striking difference between the AT and PSI model was the task oriented isolation brought on by the AT model.  With the PSI model, there was this strong push for presence; however, there was little discussion about presence in the AT articles.  Both models of learning represent the same idea that “ …learning is an activity done by an individual and not something done to an individual” (Kozma et. al, 1978).  However, the learning seemed very isolated…student get a tape, listen to it, record time spent listening.  Between both theories there is this sense of helping the low and average students succeed without holding the brighter students back.  Essentially, this same idea is expected in the classes that I teach.  The idea of differentiation is extremely important for students in order to keep them motivated and committed to learning.  However, I do not see myself using the AT model in my own classroom.  This seems outdated and lacking in motivation for students that I teach.  
            In order to carry out any of these models, it is important that time and space with regard to technology is available for students.  My teammates and I have found that using online resources is difficult at the elementary level.  Many resources that we want to use require students to be 13 years or older and have a working email address.  While many students have an email accounts, using these at school can be difficult.  Implementing a PSI model, would require access to testing software that can allow students to take different tests countless times if necessary.  Furthermore, there would need to be a communication tool available to students and teachers that allow for regular communication.  Additionally, one would need access to countless information in order to extend and remediate student learning.  Thus knowing how to evaluate materials and websites in order to provide the best instruction to the learners would be an important skill needed by the creator/facilitator.
Davis, R. L., Ragsdell, K. M., The audio tutorial system (n.d.)

Kozma, R.B., Belle, L.W. and Williams, G.W. (1978) Instructional Techniques in Higher Education. Educational Technology Publications, New Jersey.
 
Koen, B. V., (2005). Creating a sense of ‘presence’ in a web-based psi course: The search for Mark Hopkins’ log in a digital world. IEE Transactions on Education 48(4), 599-604.

Montelone, B. A., Rintoul, D. A., & Williams, L. G.M (2008). Assessment of the effectiveness of the studio format in introductory undergraduate biology. CBE- Life Science Education, 234-242

8 comments:

  1. It does take time to get use to distance education. You have to be a self motivator! I love it and it fits my schedule. I was at first, nervous, but I adjusted. With distance education becoming more popular, there are many different theories instructors can use to make the learning easier for students. ~Anna B.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also felt overwhelmed during my first semester of online courses. I wanted to start with just one class, but was advised to take 2. It was difficult trying to get acclimated to the online environment for sure. I thought that you made an interesting point about students with disabilities in your post. Since much of online learning has to do with reading, I bet that students with a learning disability may have a tough time. I think that some professors post podcasts and audio lectures, so that may help with students that struggle with reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Tracey! Thanks for taking a minute to read my blog! It seems that your first experience with online classes was overwhelming considering the advice you were given in taking 2. I'm assuming that you have become adjusted to this type of learning now. What did you feel is a must have in an on class in order to have a positive experience? I know that for me, it definitely comes from the organization and efforts the professor puts into building a community of trust. Online learning can be intimidating; therefore, making it hard to build the relationships that can be done in a classroom. You make a great point with including pod casts and audio lectures to help students who may struggle. These resources definitely can help assist any learner. Thanks again for reading :)

      Delete
  3. Hi Kylie ... I had a similar experience with distance learning. I started out in a cohort group at NCSU in 2002 for a distance learning program. I tried it for a couple of semesters, but decided to drop out of the program. Now, however, I have really come to love distance learning. It has improved so much since my first attempt and I love the flexibility it gives me with my busy life.

    I love reading your thoughts on how to implement this in your classroom. I teach college, but I struggle with the same concerns. Also, I have a son that is in 4th grade and I think about him and would PSI or A-T be effective for my son. He loves computers and working on the computer, but I am not sure he has enough internal motivation to work through a "module" on his own in a self paced atmosphere. While there are a lot of great attributes to the method, I wonder if this is more effective for older students versus younger students.

    Love your blog :)
    ~Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kelly, thanks for your insightful comment! It is good to see you did not give up on distance ed learner. I agree that it has come very far! I prefer learning online more now than I did when I was an undergraduate student. It is interesting to see your thoughts on PSI for your son who is a 4th grader. Like most ideas in education a model like PSI has the potential to be effective for some students but not all. You make a valid point addressing the self motivation. I couldn't agree more. Even though more and more young students use technology, it seems to loose its excitement when learning is involved. While I do believe that it excites most students, it still can have some of the same pitfalls classroom teaching can have. I feel that PSI would be a great supplement for students to use at home if they are misunderstanding concepts or need practice on what has been taught in the classroom. However, I can also see it being used as review to review previously taught concepts. I plan to try implementing the PSI my group and I have created for fractions with my students. Thanks for taking the time to read and comment on my blog!

    Kylie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kylie,
    I thought you made an interesting point about the AT being the catalyst for the PSI model. I can totally see how that could be the case. The PSI seems to be the more individualized way to meet the objectives of the AT Method...interesting. I remember my first online class...undergraduate statistics! I thought I wouldn't make it. I am so glad you stuck with it...look how proficient you are with online learning now! I am very interested to see how your students do with the fraction PSI. You will certainly have to keep me posted!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kylie,

    I have been teaching online courses for a longtime, but this is the first program I am taking totally online. Now it gives me a clear idea about what actually students feel and experience while enrolled in an online course.I think as a teacher first time offering an online course is a lot of work, but after couple of semesters you know exactly what works and what does not.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kylie,
    I think you were right on in considering the age of the learners for the appropriateness of these approaches to learning. All of the authors are really speaking from the vantage point of college students, who are technically 'adult learners,' but as you mentioned, with some modifications, aspects of these approaches could work for younger audiences as well. And a great point also that access and time for technology needs to be provided; I've heard from many K-12 teachers about the struggles they go through with having technology available for their students. Hopefully access will continue to improve as computer technology gets cheaper.
    Biljana

    ReplyDelete